Eden Killer Whale Museum
(02) 6496 2094 The Eden Killer Whale Museum has been in operation for over 80 years and is recognised as one of the most progressive and innovative museums in regional NSW. The museum is a publically owned facility managed by a small but enthusiastic voluntary committee and has been extensively upgraded and expanded in the last 20 years. Their aim is to implement the best museum practices whilst still providing entertaining and educational presentations to our visitors. The Museum provides a program of touring exhibitions sources through partnerships with metropolitan museums whilst regularly updating and changing our existing displays.
Opening Hours are: Monday to Saturday, 9:15am to 3:45pm Sunday, 11:15am to 3:45pm. Extended Trading Hours operate over the
Christmas Holiday Period. www.killerwhalemuseum.com.au
Sapphire Coast Marine Discovery Centre
(02) 6496 1699 The Sapphire Coast Marine Discovery Centre is an exciting hands-on experience for everyone. Full of interesting, thought provoking marine displays and exhibits. Located in Eden, NSW, the Sapphire Coast Marine Discovery Centre programs and activities extend beyond the Bega Valley Shire, into Victoria, the Eurobodalla and Snowy Mountains as well as the ACT. Opening hours: School Term – Monday to Friday, 10am to 3pm. School Holidays – Monday to Saturday, 9:30am to 3:30pm. www.sapphirecoastdiscovery.com.au
(02) 6495 2299 Merimbula’s Magic Mountain is a great way to entertain a family of all ages, with our diamond python rollercoaster, toboggans, grand prix cars, waterslides and so much more. With picnic tables and well maintained gardens, come have some fun in the sun. Have you done our Tree Climb? An exciting high wire adventure course, something for the older kids.
The Tree climb challenge is ticketed separately from Magic Mountain, and bookings are advised in busy holiday periods. It consists of 3 challenging courses and over 30 obstacles spread over the park high in the Trees. Age and height requirements apply, please see the website for more details. Limited places available, so reserve your place and book ahead today.
Magic Mountain also offers value to group bookings, birthdays, school bookings or Christmas parties, and offer a great present with gift vouchers available for both Magic Mountain and the Tree Climb Challenge. Please call to enquire on (02) 64 952 299. To book in for your Tree Climb Challenge or to buy Magic Mountain tickets online go to www.magicmountain.net.au
(02) 6494 9225 is only minutes away from Merimbula, 9km north on the Princes Highway. Come for an abundance of wildlife, including koalas, kangaroos, wombats, wallabies, emus and other native birds. Reptiles too – including crocs! Come for a picnic or a BBQ, or enjoy a Devonshire Tea. Beautiful parkland setting makes Potoroo Palace a must-see. Open 10-4 every day in holidays, Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon in off season. Education talks throughout the day.
(02) 6495 1686 Merimbula Marina have adventure tours, fishing charters and discovery cruises leaving everyday. From mid August through to the end of November large numbers of humpback whales travel past Merimbula, NSW. The waters of the Sapphire Coast are one of the few places in the world where humpbacks can be observed lateral lunge feeding. They have a 100% Whale Sighting Guarantee.
The beautiful Sapphire Coast has some of the best inshore and offshore fishing in NSW. Marlin, Yellowfin Tuna, Bluefin Tuna, Kingfish, Snapper are abundant in these waters. They offer a variety of charter options to suit the beginner through to the keen fisherman.
Merimbula Marina now offers ocean adventure tours – this year they are excited to offer three new adventures. These are all aboard their brand new boat Sensational – a comfortable, high powered 20 passenger eco RIB. She is a fast and fun way to explore the Sapphire Coast!
Discovery Tours are for the whole family. This 1.5 hour cruise takes in the spectacular scenery of the Merimbula Bay and its colourful, pristine coastline. You will encounter an amazing array of birdlife and possibly seals and dolphins. These cruises depart daily, times vary.
(02) 6495 3091 Looking for something fun to do with the kids? At Top Fun in Merimbula, you’ll find Ten Pin Bowling, the Zone 3 Laser game, an 18-hole Mini Golf course and plenty of video and skill-based games. In fact, you’ll probably need a whole day to experience it all. For those who enjoy Ten Pin Bowling but need a bit of extra help, there are special aids available (bumpers, ramps and special balls), so that everyone can join in and have fun.
For an adrenalin pumping experience try the Zone 3 laser game, where you can test your skills and courage in the ultraviolet, smoke filled maze, whilst dodging your opponents. There are video and skills-based games too, and tickets can be won with many of the amusements whcih can then be used to redeem prizes at the Kiosk. The 18-hole Mini golf course has been designed to provide maximum fun to all ages, and there’s a long-standing record just waiting to be broken!
Admission and parking are free, and snacks and coffee are available. Open 7 days, Top Fun is located at the top of the town at 99 Main St. Merimbula. Phone 6495 3091, or visit their website at www.topfun.com.au
Merimbula Wharf Aquarium & Restaurant
(02) 6495 4446 Visit the Aquarium open daily from 10am and see the great theatre of the deep! Their 70,000 litre Oceanarium is a stand-out feature with 28 tanks featuring local and tropical marine life of all kinds. Fish feeding always produces lots of action and is a great time to visit for more extensive information. Fish Feeding Times: 11.30am – Monday, Wednesday & Friday. 11.30am – Monday to Friday during school holidays. Please note theyare closed Tuesdays during the winter months.
With spectacular 180 degree ocean views the Wharf Restaurant is the perfect place for lunch, dinner or just coffee & cake. They are open daily from 10am with lots of delicious fresh baked cakes & treats to enjoy with a great coffee or a nice pot of tea. Their lunch menu features local seafood and oysters as well as lighter selections and larger meals. Fully licensed they offer a wide selection of wines. A seasonal a-la-carte menu is offered for evening dining.
At Lake St Merimbula. www.merimbulawharf.com.au
The Bega Cheese Heritage Centre
is located in the grounds of Bega Cheese, Lagoon St, North Bega (02) 6491 7777 and is open 9am to 5pm 7 days. Visit here and watch cheese being made, buy cheese and gourmet fudge, enjoy a snack. There’s a picnic area here, and a playground, too! Now incorporating the Bega Visitor Information Centre.
On The Perch Aviaries
(02) 6494 1169 On the Perch has quickly become one of the ‘must see’ attractions of the Sapphire Coast. They now have more than 50 species from Australia, Africa and the Asia Pacific, and our two walk-in aviaries are the place to get up close and personal with some of them. Mornings are the best time to visit us as this is when the birds are most active and it is also when you will see our Keepers hard at work. At 11am and 1pm, their Meet the Keeper talks are very popular. If you are looking to personalise your visit, their Keeper for a Day program gives you the chance!
Enjoy locally roasted coffee in the ‘Brood Cafe’ or enjoy a world famous Bells Café Milkshake (all the way from Broken Hill) while you’re there. www.ontheperch.com.au
Walks around Narooma
There are two wonderful self-guided walks to do around Narooma produced by Narooma Historical Society.
Pick up the pamphlets from Narooma Visitors Centre and please leave a 50 cent donation for each in the box provided.
1. Mitchells Mill Walk – starts at the Visitors Centre and follows the path around the foreshores – just look for the numbered posts – all the way to the northern breakwater.
It talks about some of Narooma’s early history including its busy shipping for almost 100 years, taking mainly timber to Sydney and returning with supplies from the area.
Check out the display featuring Narooma’s rich maritime history in the Lighthouse Museum at the Visitor’s Centre before you start walking.
The pamphlet predates the boardwalk but stick to the boardwalk rather than the road. It will be revised once the current edition runs out.
2. Ringlands Rotary Walk – follows a bush track from Shell Point to the rainforest at the Ringlands Estate. This outlines some of the history and natural features of the inlet.
The Original Gold Rush Colony
(02) 4474 2123 The Original Gold Rush Colony in Mogo is a multi award-winning tourism attraction, Gold history and Australian culture educational facility, with on-site accommodation set on 13 bushland acres within the Mogo State Forest. Located just 200m off the Princes Hwy (behind the Mogo Village township, near the Mogo Zoo), between Batemans Bay and Moruya on the New South Wales South Coast. The Gold Rush Colony is within easy driving distance of Canberra ACT and Sydney NSW Australia. www.goldrushcolony.com.au