The villages of Tilba Tilba and Central Tilba lie on the slopes of Gulaga, a place of great spiritual significance to people from the Yuin nation.
Named Mt. Dromedary by Captain Cook in 1770, the lower slopes of Gulaga became the site of much activity when gold was discovered in the 1860s.
Many of Tilba’s buildings were constructed in the late 1880s when the gold boom was at its peak. By the time mining ceased, the dairy industry was firmly established as the main source of income for the area.
The village of Tilba Tilba, just a few kilometres south of Central Tilba, is also protected by a National Heritage listing.
Tilba Tilba is home to the magnificent Foxglove Spires, featuring one of Australiaís finest open gardens covering 3.5 acres. There is also a cafe, giftware, antiques and a nursery on site. Tilba Tilba also has a general store, and is the base for the walk up Gulaga.
The entire village of Central Tilba was classified by he National Trust in 1974 in recognition of its historical significance.
Central Tilba maintains its village atmosphere, and has become a centre for craftspeople and artisans, as well as old-fashioned stores like the general store, lolly shop and toy shop.