Cobargo is located half an hour north of Bega, in the midst of lush, green pastures rolling away to forested mountains.
The village was established with a Post Office, general store, school, hotel, church and blacksmith during the 1870s around the butter and cheesemaking industries.
In the 1860s, Cobargo was known as Wattletown, as bark stripped from local wattle trees was shipped to Sydney and Melbourne to be used in the tanning industry. This industry only ceased in 1964. Cobargo was also known as The Junction because of the junction of the Narira and Bredbatoura Creeks in the middle of the town.
A Butter Factory and Co-op were established in 1901 and continued production, except for a short break due to fire, until 1980, when it closed because of changes in bulk milk production.
Today, Cobargo is a wonderful example of a working village of local artisans, with many of buildings over 100 years old, reflecting the charm of the art & craft housed within them.
The two storey building that is home to “Bangles Gallery” is a fine example of century-old architecture, and features lovely wrought iron lace work around the verandahs.